Kitchen Island Countertops – Give your Cooking Area a Completely New Look
While kitchen is where you prepare your mouth-watering dishes, it is also the place where we sit to eat together with out loved ones after spending a busy day at work. So, why not give it a stunning look by adding kitchen island countertops? This idea itself will refresh your mind and make you feel great when you renovate the kitchen. Check out some great ideas to install kitchen island countertops and increase the worth of your property.
- Available In Different Shapes – Kitchen island countertops can be found in different shapes and these include – L, U or G shaped kitchen. If the cooking space is very small, the kitchen island will serve as an obstruction and may even hinder in passing through the area easily. The best customized kitchen island countertops for small as well as mid-sized cooking space are a kitchen cart or portable butcher block for preparing dishes or storing food.
- Add Ventilation Hood – You can add ventilation hood to get rid of steam, smoke and cooking odors if the kitchen island has a cooktop. The hood should expand beyond the cooking space by at least three inches for proper ventilation. It is advised that you use fan that has the capacity of nearly 50 cubic feet for every square foot of the cooktop.
- Install Second Kitchen Sink – Adding another kitchen sink in the kitchen island is definitely a good idea. Choose a sink which is quite deep for cleaning pans and pots. Equip the kitchen island with a garbage disposal, trash compactor, dish washer and recycle bin. It will be very east to clean the cooking area when you have all these kitchen appliances near the sink.
- Allow Sufficient Countertop Space on the Kitchen Island – There should be enough countertop space on the left and right side of the kitchen island in case a cooktop or sink will be used. Try to keep at least 15 inches of countertop space on both the sides of the kitchen island. If you have a bigger kitchen space, try to keep more space. You should not keep lots of countertop space in a kitchen. Besides, rounded countertop corners secure everyone from bad bruises.
- Keep Shelf Space on the Sides of Kitchen Island – You may keep enough shelf space on both sides of the kitchen island. This space can be used for cookbooks, collectibles and storage purpose. Even a television can be kept in this space so that the family members can enjoy their favorite shows together while they are eating their delicious food. A microwave is also a good idea to be kept in this space for heating food immediately and serving hot dishes to the family members and guests.
These are some great kitchen island countertops ideas to upgrade your kitchen and make it look completely new.