Homeowners often get repulsed when the water from their showers does not go down the drains. This indeed can be a frustrating situation, as the bathroom turns wet, slimy and in certain cases even smells way too bad. But, the question that arises here is- what could have been the possible reason behind it, why did the drain stop working the way it should all of a sudden, are the drains clogged?
Clogged shower drains are a common concern that occurs in your home at some of the other points of time. If you want to prevent it, then you must be aware of the root cause behind it, what are those things in particular that led to a blocked drain.
This article explains the major reasons that usually lead to blockage drains and how the same can be fixed at once. Remember, if you are unable to handle the problem then it is best to approach a professional plumber near you so that it does not affect the quality of the sewage system.
5 Common Reasons that lead to Clogged Drains
There are five common causes that tend to clog shower drains and these are
- Hard Water: The first and perhaps the most important reason is hard water. This water often contains deposits of micro-solids and minerals that tend to settle onto the walls of the pipes. If the system is not cleaned from time-to-time then they form a layer and finally block the path of water. When your shower drain blocks due to hard water then you can make use of a softening agent that will wash away the deposits and allow the system to function appropriately.
- Bathroom Drains: The usual shower drains, be it skin flakes, hair, or soap scum accumulate onto the walls and impact water flow. When left untreated for an extended period they lead to a blocked drain. For cleaning this, you have to remove the stopper of the drain and then make use of a plunger to clean out all that has been deposited in the pipes.
- Trash or Other Products: Objects such as a wrapper, toy, or even a small cap which you might accidentally drop in the shower can be the ultimate reason behind blockages. Such objects tend to slip far and get stuck into the narrow spaces of the pipes. This can even be caused by a mineral soap which would completely block the path of water.
- Chemicals: From shampoos, soaps, conditioners, hair conditioners to bathroom cleaners and disinfectants, each one of them is packed with tons of chemicals that can be terrible for the shower drains. Like any other agent, even they end up accumulating in the sewage system and finally clog the drains.
- Grease or Oils: Most of the people think that grease only clogs the path of kitchen drains. However the same even occurs in the shower as grease or oil is also found in soap scum or natural oils that are often used for bathing. They do not mix with water thus remain at the top, and while traveling in the drains, they deposit onto the walls of the system.
When you want to prevent blocked drains, then you can consider installing a hair guard, to ensure that only water enters into the pipes and not hair or any other object that you might drop off. The buildup of oils and soap scum can be reduced by pouring equal parts of baking soda and vinegar followed by boiling water at least once in every four months so that the water flow remains unaltered.
Thanks for sharing this informative Post. This article is very useful. These are the very common cause for clogged drains. Clogged Drain is a common plumbing problem in every home. Keep posting!
Hard water is a new word. The idea of a clogged drain gives that icky sensation. And knowing the culprit of one would enable you to come up with solutions for a well-maintained bathroom.
Oh, thanks for such useful tips! Yeah, hair is a very common problem. And according to this article, https://www.polestarplumbing.com/services/drain-cleaning/, your shower or bathtub is often ground zero for clogs. It’s really great, keep writing!
It’s great that you pointed out how the usual shower drains, be it skin flakes, hair, or soap scum accumulate onto the walls and impact water flow. I was taking a shower earlier and noticed that the water wasn’t draining properly for some reason. It would be quite inconvenient if we just leave it be so we should probably call for clogged shower drain services and have them take care of it.