It’s easy to ignore the tiny signs of an electrical problem. You convince yourself that the flickering light is no big deal or that outlet that sparks now and then will eventually fix itself. Unfortunately, most homeowners realize they have a severe electrical issue when it’s too late.
Electrical fires are one of the leading causes of house fires, and they can happen without warning. Here are the most ignored electrical issues that can quickly turn into a disaster:
Flickering lights are usually a sign of a loose connection somewhere in your electrical system. If the flickering is persistent, have an electrician take a look as it could signify a serious problem, such as faulty wiring.
Other causes of flickering lights include loose lightbulbs and faulty switches. In severe cases, flickering lights can signify an electrical fire. A Columbus electrical contractor or one near your location can look into the issue and offer a solution.
Frequent Circuit Breaker Trips
If your circuit breaker trips frequently, it could signify an overloaded circuit. It often happens when you plug in too many devices. To fix the problem, reduce the number of devices plugged into the circuit or have an electrician install additional ones. The problem can lead to overheating and electrical fires.
Warm Switches And Outlets
Hot switches and outlets result from faulty wiring or an overloaded circuit. If you notice the switches and outlets are warm to the touch, have an electrician take a look. The problem could cause an electrical fire. Sometimes, the heat is due to a loose connection, which can be fixed quickly. However, if the wiring is faulty, replace it.
If your power goes out frequently, it could be a sign of a problem with the electrical grid in your area. However, if you notice that yours is out more often than your neighbors’, your electrical system could be the problem.
To find the cause of the problem, have an electrician take a look. The problem could be anything from loose wiring to a faulty circuit breaker.
Sparks From Outlets Or Switches
Sparks from outlets or switches are usually a sign of a poor connection. The problem could be a simple loose wire that needs tightening. However, if the wiring is old or damaged, it will require a replacement. A faulty circuit breaker can also cause the problem.
Exposed Aluminum Wiring
If your home was built in the 1970s, there’s a chance it has exposed aluminum wiring. While the wiring is not necessarily a fire hazard, it can cause problems with your electrical system. Over time, aluminum wiring can corrode and become brittle.
These issues cause loose connections and sparks. To avoid problems, have an electrician inspect the aluminum wiring. Replacing all the wiring with copper is the best way to prevent problems.
Rodent activity may not seem like an electrical issue, but it can be a severe problem. Mice and rats love to chew on electrical wires, which can cause shorts, sparks, and electrical fires.
To avoid problems, keep your home free of clutter and make sure there are no holes or cracks that rodents can use to get inside. Schedule an electrician to inspect your home for damaged wiring. Have a pest control expert inspect and pest-proof your home.
These electric issues may not seem like a significant problem at first, but if left unchecked, they can cause substantial damage to your home. Because some are hard to detect, keep an eye out for any signs of electrical problems. If you notice anything unusual, have an electrician take a look. It’s better to be safe than sorry.