Our home gardens or gardens, in general, are precious little heaven on earth. But, we know that there are a lot of pests that can destroy and waste our efforts on your garden.
What Are The Different Types Of Pests?
Pests can be a big problem for gardeners and homeowners. They can destroy the environment and make it difficult to grow plants. Pests can be anything from insects like ants or beetles to larger creatures like raccoons, possums, and even birds.
There are many different types of pests, and they all require different pest control services. This article will provide a brief overview of the different kinds of pests you may find in your garden, how to identify them, what they eat and how to prevent them from coming back.
How To Identify And Get Rid Of Common Garden Pests
The most common garden pests are slugs, snails, aphids, earwigs, and caterpillars.
- Slugs are slimy and can be identified by their long bodies and small shell-less bodies. They eat plants from the leaves to the roots. You can get rid of them naturally by adding coffee grounds, ashes from wood, and sand, even crushing eggshells to the ground around your plants.
- Snails have a hard shell that they can retract into when threatened. They leave a slime trail behind them as they move around because they don’t have any legs to walk on. They eat plants from the leaves to the roots, but this time it is slower than slugs because they have to chew on them first. You can get rid of them naturally with diatomaceous earth, which is a non-toxic material that can act as a good barrier or repellent.
- Aphids are tiny bugs that suck plant juices out of leaves which causes them to curl up and turn brown or yellow in colour. The best natural way of getting rid of them is by spraying or wiping the plant’s leaves with a mild water and soap solution.
- Earwigs are dark brown bugs that feed on various insects and plants. Like aphids, you can get rid of them naturally with water and soap.
- Pests birds are a nuisance too. They are the music in the ears and given by nature, but when they are pecking up seedlings and stealing fruits in your garden, you need to step up and show who’s the boss. Some harmless way of getting rid of them is bird netting and creating barriers.
How To Prevent Garden Pests From Coming Back
It is not just about getting rid of pests in the garden. You also need to know how to keep them out. There are many ways to prevent garden pests from returning, which are worth exploring.
You can prevent garden pests from coming back in many different ways. Like pests birds, you can try bird netting installation from pest control professionals to get rid of them.
Some of these methods can be more effective than others, but it all depends on what your personal preference is and what type of pest you are trying to get rid of. Pests come in many shapes and sizes; make sure you have accounted for everything is important.
How To Protect Your Garden From Pests
The best way to protect your garden from pests is by taking preventive measures. The first thing you should do is to identify the specific pest that is attacking your garden. Once you have identified the pest, you can devise a solution that will work best for your garden.
Pests can be controlled by using natural methods like spraying soap and oil on plants, using a homemade spray made of water and dishwashing liquid, setting up bait stations, or planting flowers that are known to repel insects.
But if you can’t handle the pests anymore, don’t forget to contact a professional pest control expert near you.