Do you have elderly parents or loved ones to look after at home? If you are new to the routine, you might be worried about providing the best care for family.
Don’t worry. You are not alone. In the US alone, more than one in five persons are caregivers. Reports say that in the United States, there was an increase in the number of family caregivers of 9.5 million from 2015 to 2020.
When it comes to caregiving, communication, safety, exercise, and hygiene are some factors that pose difficulties.
Below are some of the tips that will make your caregiving task for the elderly at home easier.
Prepare A Daily Schedule
When you stick to a schedule while taking care of your elderly loved one, it will not only improve their health and mood but make your days more organized.
- Sleeping and waking up at the same time each day can improve their mood and benefit their overall health, especially if they have dementia. It will also help them get the recommended 7 to 8 hours of sleep to wake up feeling rested and alert.
- Allow them to have their meal simultaneously every day to improve digestion, maintain blood sugar levels, and aid them in taking medications on a regular schedule.
- Does your loved one like to take a walk in the park? Make a schedule to help them enjoy their favorite activity on time daily.
Communicate With Patience
To communicate well with your elderly loved ones, you will have to follow certain tips.
- While communicating with the elderly, try to connect emotionally and physically by touching or holding their hand.
- Use the powerful form of nonverbal communication, eye contact.
- Use the person’s name in conversation to make them feel important and emphasize similarities.
- Rather than ordering them around, ask questions, and be an active as well as an empathetic listener.
- Be patient and compassionate.
Maintain A Safe Home
It is said that older adults who are 65 years of age suffer the highest number of fatal falls. So redesigning your home is crucial to prevent your loved ones from fall injury.
- If you must use throw rugs, ensure to attach them to the ground with double-sided adhesive tape firmly. If you have installed glazed ceramic tiles, they can be especially slippery.
- Tack electrical cables so that they are out of the way.
- Illuminate the areas well where there are stairs, sunken pits, or furniture.
- Fix handrails and grab bars across stairways.
- Fit in a raised toilet in the bathroom.
Conduct Workout Sessions
To allow them to have a proper sleep, improve heart, muscle, and joint health, and keep them happy, choke out a workout schedule that will fit the elderly.
- Have an errand to run? Make a trip with your loved ones, and while you are at it, spend quality time together. Plus, you are both exercising in the process. Just ensure that it is something the elderly can handle.
- Find out what they enjoy doing. Perhaps riding a stationary bike is their thing, or they like swimming. If you allow them to do what they like, it will be much easier to keep them excited for the workout sessions. Maybe your loved ones might not like exercise. Keep trying, anyway.
- Going to a gym won’t be preferable for many older people. You can still use the home equipment available.
Maintain Proper Hygiene
- You might be required to help your loved ones take a bath or get dressed. Here are some tips.
- Getting the comfy loose-fitted clothes with an elastic waistband will come in handy.
- Keep a shower chair. Ensure to install a handheld showerhead.
- If brushing teeth is impossible, rinse with mouthwash.
There you have it—the essential tips to take care of your elderly at home.
The ride is not going to be easy. But as you slowly gain momentum, things will get easier. And with all the love you have for them, you won’t mind carrying the load that much.
Don’t forget to take care of yourself and ask for help when you need it in the hustle and bustle. Be prepared for change as it is inevitable. There will be mood swings, and their health condition may change too. Be patient, and you will see it through.
Thank you for sharing such a nice blog. It’s really impressive. I appreciate your intelligence and knowledge. Karara Ceramics is the largest Tile company in India and deliver quality products and services to our customers. For more details visit: https://kararaceramics.in/