Selecting a suitable builder for your project can be hectic for any homeowner. It would help if you were diligent and careful to avoid hiring a cowboy builder to build for you your dream home. Whoever you choose to work with should not only be qualified, but they should also have years of experience, skills, and craftsmanship to handle the house extension project. Your builder should be reliable throughout the whole process.
When looking to hire a builder, there are the basics (such as those mentioned above), which you consider when deciding if they’re the right fit. However, what happens when the deal sounds too good to be true? Here are some of the things you should look out for when hiring a good builder.
Choosing The Extension Builders
The type of builder you opt for for your project is very important. You need to hire extension builders that specialize in the area you’re interested in. This page on marriottconstruction.co.uk highlights the importance of hiring a qualified builder when it comes to achieving your dream design. It also gives you an idea of the different extension designs that you can opt for.
The Builders Qualification
A good builder should have the right qualifications for them to function as one. Whether it’s a valid business license or company registration, you shouldn’t struggle to determine if your contractor is good for the job. They should willingly show you their registration or any legal documents that show their legitimacy. With cowboy builders, they’d expect you to believe word of mouth only. Be careful not to fall for this trap.
The Level Of Experience
If the builder has handled several projects before, they will have adequate experience to handle the project efficiently from start to finish. Having handled several projects before means, the builder has acquired some level of expertise along the way.
Quotes From Different Contractors
This will help you get an accurate estimate of the amount you’re going to pay for your project. A poor builder can give you a cheaper quote and end up doing a shoddy job. You should always be alert when the deal is too good to be true.
House Extension Ideas To Consider
Whether you want to extend upwards or even sideways, there are several extension ideas that you can opt for. You can also opt for a basement extension. Although it’s considered a costly option, there’s so much that you can achieve. Choosing a suitable design for your basement is one of the ways you can make the most of your newly transformed dead space. Highlighted below are some of the extension ideas you can consider.
- A Basement Extension: This is an effective way to make your underutilized dark basement into a useful space. There’s a lot you can achieve with a basement conversion, like turning it into a cellar or a tv room, among other options.
- A Wrap-Around Extension: Extensions are an ideal way to acquire more space or improve your property’s value. It is no different with this extension type.
- A Double Or Two-Storey Extension: Extending upwards is not only cost-effective, but you also get to avoid losing any garden space.
- A Single-Storey Extension: This type of extension can also add significant value to your property. It would help if you considered adherence to the building regulations requirements.
- A conservatory: This is an ideal way to bring your outdoors inside. You get to seamlessly link your outdoors to your indoors while maximizing the available space.
Apart from the ones listed above, there are plenty more designs that you can consider for your property. Your needs, budget, and home type are essential factors in determining the most suitable design for you. You’ll have very little to worry about with a qualified and reliable builder because you’ll receive professional guidance throughout the project.
By going through this article, you’ll know some of the things to watch out for when looking for a suitable builder. You’ll also get an idea of.