Are you thinking of upgrading your bathroom? Why not go for the custom frameless glass shower doors? Not only do they look lovely, but they are simple to clean and maintain. As they are virtually metal-free, you get a clean, modern look.
The unobstructed view of the shower area adds an aesthetic dimension to your otherwise mundane bathroom and makes it look open and spacious.
What’s Different About Frameless Glass Shower Doors?
The frameless shower doors are made using thick and sturdy tempered glass. Unlike the framed shower doors, they are not supported by any metal panels or frames. The only metal elements you’ll see on them are the hinges and handles. So, all you see is glass, which offers you an uncluttered and clean look. Usually, the glass used in making them ranges from 3/8 inch to ½ inch in thickness, making it pretty strong structurally.
But their beautiful design and functionality are not the only reason they are popular. The frameless doors open quietly and make no screeching sound, which is common in metal doors.
Cleaning them is also easy and hassle-free. There is no chance of mold or rust accumulation as they have no rubber or metal frame. Cleaning the glass is pretty much effortless. Mostly, you don’t even need to clean it frequently. You can opt for treated glass to keep your shower door clean as new always.
The frameless glass doors fit in all contemporary bathroom designs no matter what their size is. You can select from a range of custom frameless glass shower doors depending upon your bathroom size and décor. However, you must be very careful in picking your shower doors.
As they are installed without any frame, you have to choose the right design and get them installed by a professional. Otherwise, there will be a risk of water leaking out of the shower area.
A Comprehensive Buying Guide For Frameless Glass Shower Doors
Think About Your Bathroom Layout
If you are remodeling your bathroom, you’ll probably have more flexibility to choose the new enclosure. If you are replacing your existing frame, you will have to consider your existing shower area to select a somewhat similar shower enclosure.
Don’t forget about things like your bathtub size and the area you want to leave for movement. Also, inspect your current plumbing if you need to replace them. Now is an excellent time to update your bathroom fixtures. So, keep in mind your bathroom size and the existing plumbing while choosing your shower door.
Type Of Shower Door
You should have the correct width of the shower area or bathtub. Depending upon these measurements, you can choose a sliding or hinged shower door. Hinged doors can have a single door or door with a panel.
- Single door – This door design has a single glass door featuring tiles on the remaining three sides.
- Door and panel shower doors– In this style, a single door is fixed to an additional glass panel.
- Neo-angle shower doors– These doors have two glass walls on either side, meeting at the right angle to form a curved enclosure of rectangle or diamond shape.
- Sliding shower doors– You can install them as full panels or as short panels over a bathtub. They comprise two or more panels, which slide on top or bottom mounted tracks.
Choose The Shower Door Glass
The type of glass you choose depends upon your taste and the look you want to achieve. So, you have three options: clear, frosted, and patterned glass doors.
- Clear glass doors: They look stylish and give your small bathroom a spacious look. As the interior is evident from the outside, it’s a great way to flaunt the patterned tiles, stonework, or any intricate design you have in the shower area.
- Frosted glass doors: These glass doors have an opaque finish and are preferred by those who like privacy. They don’t need the same upkeep needed by the clear glass doors as you can’t see the dirt and grime easily. But it also makes them difficult to clean.
- Patterned glass doors: These doors come in various etched patterns, such as a raindrop or rainfall. Compared to the frosted glass, they are more translucent.
After reading the points mentioned above, you must know the things you should consider before installing custom frameless glass shower doors.
Choose a reliable vendor to get the product that fits your requirement and budget. The frameless door might be a little more costly than the traditional framed door. But, you will surely enjoy the experience of taking a shower in your newly transformed bathroom.