Construction management, simply put, refers to the complete management of a construction project. Hence initial planning, then designing, and finally, the construction of a project comes under the purview of construction management. It seeks to properly sync and coordinate the involvement of a team of professionals like engineers, architects, and contractors, etc., to ensure that the project is carried out seamlessly.
Scope Of Construction Management Defined
Thus, generally speaking, construction project management is typically involved with:
- Specifying the plans and objectives of a project with stress on:
- Scope delineation which defines the scope of work,
- Budgeting of financing of the project,
- Scheduling of the project by setting time-specific work goals,
- Setting specific performance requirements to ensure schedule goals are met,
- Selection of appropriate participants for the successful completion of the project.
- The maximization of the required and available resources effectively through proper, qualified and timely procurement of labor, equipment, and materials,
- Implementation of the various aspects of the project through absolutely perfect coordination,
- Development of effective channels of communications and
- Setting up mechanisms to ensure that conflicts, if any, get resolved immediately and effectively so that work does not get hampered.
Thus the stages involved in the construction management of any project can effectively be divided into:
- Designing wherein conceptualization of the project leads to schematic designing, design development and finally contract documents,
- Pre-construction wherein the main participants like administrator, superintendent, field manager, etc., are chosen to assist the contraction project manager who is selected first,
- Procurement wherein bids and tenders for materials, equipment, and even supply of labor are called, and purchase orders placed accordingly, You can use one of the general construction bidding software to help out in this process.
- The construction wherein the smooth functioning of the construction worksite is enabled and
- Occupancy which takes place after the construction has been completed to the satisfaction of the client.
Need And Functions Of A Construction Project Manager
To carry out all the different aspects, the whole team must work under a construction project manager. Thus while the contributions of every member involved in the construction project undertaken are essential, the work of the project manager is to ensure that each member contributes his best with sincerity and honesty. Thus the job of a construction manager is multi-faceted and involves:
- Planning, direction, and coordination of all activities at the construction worksite,
- Overseeing the designing of the project,
- Hiring of the required workers and carrying out proper supervision,
- Correctly choosing contractors and suppliers,
- Monitoring supplies to ensure that they are ordered for on time and are also effectively and efficiently used with no wastage whatsoever,
- Preparing a realistic budget and sticking to it,
- Progress reporting of the work carried out,
- Keeping a tab on good performers and appreciating their efforts etc.
Thus while not involved in the actual construction work, the project manager is the one who is virtually responsible for the whole construction project management 24X7 until the project is carried out to completion.
Implementation Of Construction Management
The concept of construction management can be successfully implemented in all seven categories of construction, namely:
- Agricultural like the construction of barns, animals and equipment sheds, specialized fencing, elevators, storage silos, water supply, etc.,
- Residential like apartments and houses, townhouses, low-rise housing, etc.,
- A commercial like office buildings, shopping complexes and malls, banks, theatres, warehouses, golf courses and many other types of commercial establishments,
- Institutional like schools and educations institutions, police and fire stations, museums, government and military establishments, hospitals, etc.,
- Industrial like power plants and chemicals factories, mills and oil refineries, pipelines, seaports, etc.,
- Heavy civil including transportation infrastructure like roads, railroads, bridges, fortified establishments for the military, tunnels, airports, etc.,
- Environmental like projects dealing with waste management, water treatment plants, control of air pollution, sanitary sewers, etc.
Hence every construction project needs to have a proper construction management process in place for a hassle-free and successful completion of a project.
Azimuth Builders is an Industrial general contractor in Calgary and an expert in providing strategies and solutions for industrial and commercial construction projects. They deliver superior results by providing the best pricing and services.