We all know that a standing desk has been created to take care of our health if we have to spend hours writing, calculating, typing, or doing any other job connected with sitting. To every office worker, such issues as:
- Constant and bothering pains in the back and neck;
- Slow but confident weight gain;
- Migraines that can spoil the entire day and any other unpleasant conditions are familiar.
We also know that these smaller issues lead to serious consequences. Diabetes, obesity, diseases of the cardiovascular system are just some of the problems you might face if you don’t take care of yourself.
However, if you have a height-adjustable desk and use it correctly, you can prevent and even fix most of the mentioned issues.
Build Your Desk If You Cannot Buy It
What can you do, though, if you want to have a custom adjustable desk, but its price is too high? Do you know that you can build your height-adjustable desk? Of course, you will need to spend some time on it. But the cost will be significantly lower, and you will be able to make the desk that complies with your needs.
Thus, let us start with the building process.
- Get a lifting frame. You can find a good option on any website of a company that specialized in such things. When choosing a frame, check if:
- Its lifting power is sufficient for your work. The frame shall lift and lower the tabletop together with all the equipment you use. If you believe that you use more equipment than it is usually done, we recommend asking a company representative to calculate the needed lifting power for your case.
- The noise generation level is acceptable. Different people are ready to work in different conditions. For some, additional noise isn’t something extremely bothering, while for others, even a small increase in noise level might deteriorate the experience. Choose a frame that isn’t too noisy for you.
- The stroke length shall be sufficient to lift and lower the desk to a position convenient to work. If the stroke length isn’t appropriate, you might find your new desk useless.
- The design is essential. To start with, it depends on the desk you are going to build. If it is a, a small frame will be fine. If it is an L-shaped desk, choose an appropriate frame, too.
Now, when the lifting frame is selected, you need to decide what you will do with a tabletop. If you have a height-adjustable desk that you like using, you can use its tabletop for your new project. You will save funds because you don’t need to buy a desktop, and you will be able to use your furniture piece in an upgraded version.
If you don’t have a tabletop, you need to either make one (if you have the needed skills and tools) or order one. In any case, this is a chance to make a piece that complies with all your requirements.
Once you got a tabletop, fix it to the frame. Make sure it moves up and down effortlessly. Check whether the needed height is achieved and whether it handles all the needed equipment correctly. Tight the fixation bolts, and that’s it; your desk is ready.
Cable Management Is Crucial
If you decide to use a height-adjustable desk, take care of proper cable management. If you use many items and many cables, we recommend purchasing a proper cable management system. It will make your desk look ordered, and you can be sure that you will not get tangled in cables and damage equipment.
If there are just a couple of cables, you might choose special clips to arrange the cables.
Adjust The Desk Height As It Shall Be
If you want to make the use of a new desk maximally beneficial, adjust it properly. In both the sitting and the standing position, the height of the desk shall be enough to:
- Allow your hands to rest on the keyboard, with elbows bent at a 90-degree angle.
- Allow your feet to rest completely on the floor. In the standing position, make sure your legs aren’t completely straight. You shall be able to shift weight from one leg to another to avoid tiredness and pains in the legs.
- The computer monitor center shall be located at the level of your eyes. If it is difficult or impossible to achieve, buy an adjustable monitor support. It will help you to adjust the monitor at the needed height and with the required tilt.
Now, you can start using the desk. You can add any accessories you need for comfortable work, install your equipment, and start enjoying your new furniture piece. Don’t forget to do exercise to make sure you make its use more beneficial.