It is that time of year again where you are thinking of redoing your floors as your old ones may be damaged or want a change. Carpets and tiles are definitely in the past as more people now enjoy wooden floors. This is because they are easier to look after, clean, warmer, and have a beautiful look.
This is especially so if you have children or pets as carpets stain easily. Hardwood flooring maintains its look and is much harder to scratch or stain.
What Is Hardwood Flooring?
Hardwood flooring is made up of four layers. There are three layers of wood and a protective layer on top that offers stability and durability. This type of flooring can last hundreds of years and is naturally renewable. Hardwood usually comes from trees such as oak or walnut. They are hard compared to softer wood which comes from trees such as pine.
What Does A Flooring Manufacturer Do?
Flooring manufacturers create your perfect hardwood floors on a large scale and sell them for commercial or domestic use. They are manufactured at roughly a 19mm thickness. The wood can be cut in three different ways: flat, quarter, or rift sawn during the process.
The manufacturers make sure the moisture is right as this type of flooring can either expand or contract depending on the moisture in the room or packaging. They make sure the flooring is delivered in an ideal condition and maintains its perfect look for a long time.
How Is Hardwood Flooring Made?
The process of making hardwood flooring is not overly complex. Firstly, the moisture in the wood must be reduced down to below 8%. It can take several days to do this as the wood delivered would usually have a high moisture percentage.
After the wood is dried, it is cut into specific sizes, suitable for flooring in the house or business. Any or all defects are removed from the wood thoroughly to give it a smoother look. There can be cracks in the wood, which are entirely removed before the sale as they can get even more damaged if not removed.
The next step is to mold the planks to create level flooring. All of these planks are molded to have a tongue and a grooved edge. This is done so that the wood does not bend due to changes in humidity. The planks are continuously checked to make sure everything is doing right. They are then sorted into individual categories of color and size.
Each plank end is checked to ensure that they can join up equally with each other, as this is extremely important when putting them down on the floor. If they do not fit, then the floor will not be even. Final checks are carried out. The wood is then put through a sander to make it perfectly smooth. It is then varnished to give it a shiny touch.
Once all of the above is done, the finished product is packaged and sent off to be installed in the home or office.
Benefits Of Hardwood Flooring!
There are many benefits to having hardwood floors, such as:
- Brings a warm and sophisticated look to the room.
- Unlike carpets, hardwood floors are extremely easy to clean. Stains can be wiped away within seconds. They are easy to wash with a mop or a steam cleaner. If you get a few crumbs on the floor, sweep them away. These types of floors are more convenient if you want a cleaner look.
- These floors reduce vibrations that can occur.
- This type of flooring can be refinished, which is much cheaper than putting brand new flooring into your house.
- Colour does not fade with time. This is a bonus as the fresh, warm look of the floor will remain for years and years.
- They last a lifetime! This means you do not need to worry about redoing your floors anytime soon.
- They are cost-effective because you only spend money once on them, knowing they have a long lifespan.
- If you suffer from allergies, wood is the best option for you as it does not collect dust. Hardwood flooring provides better air quality.
- They match everything. This means that you do not need to worry about your décor as the wood matches everything.
- In recent years, people are looking for wooden floors more and more. When you decide to sell your home, the wooden flooring can add value to your home, which means you can sell it for more than you bought it for.
How Much Can This Type Of Flooring Cost?
This type of flooring can cost you anywhere between $2,000 to $7,000 depending on how many areas you are looking to cover with the hardwood. The average charge is about $8 per square foot. This varies and can increase to $12 in some cases, depending on the company you hire to install your hardwood floors.
Manufacturing hardwood flooring is not complicated, but the only thing that can delay it slightly is the drying part, as this can take up to 30 days to dry. The moisture level needs to be around 7%, as anything above will mean the wood can crack.
Hardwood flooring has many benefits regarding installing it in your house, such as providing better air quality. It can be pretty costly depending on the size of your home and how many rooms you are looking to install.
Once installed, it is worth every penny as you will not need to worry about redoing your floors for a very long time. They are made to last years and years. They are easy to clean and hard to damage, which makes them perfect for kids and pets.