Do you need a plumber for a new installation, remodeling, or repair? Then you need to be aware of how much a plumber costs.
In Australia, the usual plumbing rates vary depending on how severe the plumbing problem is and the job location. The qualiﬁcations and expertise of the plumber also affect how much a plumber costs in Australia.
In this guide, we have compiled a complete list of the average hourly plumbing rate and the ﬁxed service charges in Australia. So, you can get a general idea of spending for plumbing work.
How Much Does a Plumber Cost?
Plumbers in Australia have different charges based on their location. Besides, other important factors affect the prices (we will discuss them brieﬂy later).
List Of Average Cost Of Hiring A Plumber In Australia State Wise:
- W.A: $82 – $200
- Tasmania: $50 – $135
- New South Wales: $100 – $250
- Victoria: $100 – $200
- Queensland: $94 – $200
General Plumbing Price List
Here is a breakdown of the average plumbing services charges and pricing:
- $60–$140 for ﬁxing leaks in toilets and taps
- $80–$250 for setting sink or bath taps or installing shower head
- $160–$550 for installing toilets, baths, or sinks
- $1,200–$4,500 for replacing water heaters
- $3,000–$12,000 for installing solar hot water systems
- $1,200 for the servicing or replacement of a water heater
- $5,000–$30,000 for drainage contractors to replace the whole system
- $6,000–$12,000 to re-plumb the entire house (depending on the size and nature of the pipework and other variables)
- $150 for jet blaster drain cleaning
- $150 – $200 for ﬁxing a leaky pipe
- $150 – $200 for unclogging a toilet
Different Factors Affecting The Cost Of Hiring The Plumber
It is important to note that various factors affect the cost of a plumber. Here are the details:
Cost Of Plumbing Based On Experience
Experience matters a lot. An entry-level Plumber with fewer than ﬁve years of experience makes an average pay of AU$65,000 per year. This typical yearly income includes bonuses, overtime pay, and tips.
According to Talent, Plumbers with ﬁve to ten years of experience earn AU$75,000 per year. The average annual salary for plumbers with 10 to 20 years of experience is AU$80,000. More than 20 years of experience typically make AU$85,000.
Type Of Plumber You Have Hired
The key to choosing the best plumber is to read all the reviews on their google my business, Facebook, and sites like Yellowpages. You can read the full article on how to choose the right plumber.
If you hire a plumber directly, expect to pay comparable amounts. But the cost will be slightly higher for larger plumbing companies. The Australian plumbing cost mentioned above may be what a master plumber pays their employees.
Location In Australia
The table above shows that the pricing varies depending on the region. A plumber charges more if you are far from his location. That is why operating plumbing services in rural areas are pretty expensive.
This is an average cost by cities in Australia down below:
The price of plumbing in this city is very high, so you expect to pay around $100-$250 for one plumbing job. Homes in Sydney should expect to pay the most.
According to heritage plumbing, you should expect to pay around $80-$200 for an average plumbing job.
With this in mind, the going rate for a licensed plumber is around
$100-$150 per hour + GST. (Source: Brisbane plumbing and drainage company.)
You have to pay $60-$200 out of your pocket. Some companies might charge extra but if you want transparent and affordable services in Warrnambool, then click here for the best plumbers.
What Kind Of Service Do You Require
The price may vary depending on the kind of plumbing service you want. Fixing a leaking faucet, for instance, will be charged $145 – $210. It is far less expensive than installing a brand-new water heater, which is a more complicated process.
Plumbers ﬁrst assess your demands and then only charge for services. Therefore, hire one plumber if you need fewer jobs to complete. You could get savings if you employ a plumbing company for a more signiﬁcant task.
The Complexity Of Your Problem
How much a plumber costs will also depend on how complicated the job is. Therefore, more demanding jobs take longer to accomplish and require more signiﬁcant expertise. For instance, installing a solar water heater will be more complicated than a leakage ﬁxture service.
Size Of The Project
The charges will also vary on the size of the job. The cost increases with the size of the project. An extensive job requires more time and resources and is more challenging to ﬁnish for one plumber.
The Resources Employed
The charges of plumbers will be higher the more expensive the material. This is because installing expensive, high-quality materials costs more money and needs more time. If the plumber needs to buy specialized equipment or supplies for the job, he will pass those costs along to you.
Season Of The Year
Plumbing service prices might change seasonally. During peak season, plumbers may charge more for their services because they have more work and can not take on too many jobs at once. You may get a better deal if you need plumbing services during the off-season.
The Time To Complete The Job
Most of the plumbers charge per hour now. So, the longer it takes to perform the work, the greater the price. Plumbers must spend more time and resources on a task that takes longer. You could pay extra for quick plumbing services if you are in a hurry. Sometimes if you keep plumbers waiting, they may charge extra for that extra time.
An emergency repair is the last aspect that affects the average cost of a plumber. Emergency services will cost more than non-emergency services. Because urgent circumstances need plumbers to put in more time and effort, they may even need to work overtime.
Finally, it is essential to note that only a licensed plumber can handle any plumbing services. So their charges are higher than any unauthorized plumber.
Licensed plumbers must conduct themselves as per the law requirements, and they may also face the danger of consumer complaints. Therefore, you will get quality services in return for that extra penny!
In the next section, we will mention the average charges for some of the standard common plumbing services we need daily.
Average Cost Of Plumber To Install Water Heater
The installation cost is one factor to consider when you are ready to get a water heater in your house. But the price of a plumber to install a water heater varies on different factors such as:
- Tank-versus-Tankless Systems: You may have to pay up to $3500 to set up a tankless water heater. Tank water heaters may cost as little as $820 when. Also, the maintenance cost varies between $175 to $250.
- Water Heater Type: You may spend $500 on average for installing a new gas water heater; installing a hybrid water heater costs between $1,200 and $3,500. The initial cost of an electric water heater might reach $700 if there are structural complications.
- Labor: Normally, plumbers charge between $45 and $65 per hour. A plumber will often install a water heater in a single day (2-3 hours). Installing complex water heaters may need an additional two to three hours, costing up to $200 per
Water Heater Cost By Tank Size
- 30–gallon: $270–$1,000
- 40–gallon: $300–$1,600
- 50-gallon: $400–$2,500
- 75-gallon: $900–$3,200
- 80–gallon: $1,000–$3,200
List of Different Water Heater Installation Costs
|Water Heater Type||Average Installation Cost||Average Annual Cost|
|Hybrid Heat Pump||$1,200–$3,500||$250|
Cost To Replace The Pipes in Australia
If you have a broken water pipe, you are probably looking for plumbers and how much the repair would cost. It’s crucial to keep in mind that most plumbers often charge a call-out fee before any work begins. Also, the charges vary on the type of service.
- Burst Water Pipe Repairs Cost: The usual cost of repairing a broken water pipe is from $200 to $1,000. The cost will depend on the amount of time and labor. You may pay from $60 to $250 per hour if your leak is just a problem with a faucet or plumbing ﬁxture. Services like pipe replacement or relining prices range from $2,000 to $4,000.
- Other Pipe Installation Charges: Plumbers take $2,000 to $15,000 for installing pipes (depending on the size). Installing kitchen, laundry, or bathroom items costs range from $600 to $2,000. Setting up heating and/or air conditioning equipment costs between $7,500 and $12,000.
Average Cost Of Pipe Repairs State Wise:
- A: $66 – $168
- Tasmania: $52 – $147
- New South Wales: $100 – $250
- Victoria: $85 – $200
- Queensland: $100 – $200
It was some estimated rates for services like installing a water heater or replacing pipes. Nowadays, many plumbers charge hourly rates. So, let’s dive in!
Average Plumbers’ Hourly Rate In Australia
According to surveys, the average hourly rate for a plumber is between
$30.56 per hour to $44.56 per hour in Australia.
The average hourly rate in Australia can go from $90 to $130 per hour + GST. It varies based on location, level of experience, and task complexity.
Plumbers Hourly Rate By States
Across major Australian states, the average plumber hourly rate is the following:
- New South Wales: $50- $135 (Max $250)
- Victoria: $80 – $90 (Max $200)
- Queensland: $80 – $90 (Max $200)
- A: $60 – $100 (Max $200)
Some plumbers may even offer a ﬁxed fee, which is helpful since it lets you know what to expect when the task is ﬁnished. Sometimes plumbers ask for call-outs fees and waiting charges.
Call-out Fees: Plumbers often demand an arrival fee, ranging from $60 to
$150 + GST. Some plumbers may include this expense in their ﬁrst work-hour charge.
You could expect to spend well into the thousands of dollars if you need work done on hot water systems, remodeling a home, or rebuilding the complete drainage system.
If you need an emergency plumber, they will charge more since they work late at night or on holiday. Costs could also increase if plumbers need to purchase more supplies for a task or if specialized tools are needed.
Rooﬁng Plumber Average Cost In Australia
If you want to know how much a plumber costs for roof repair on average, here it is explained.
- Average Rooﬁng Plumber Costs in Australia: $3000 to $12000
Many plumbers ﬁx an estimated rate for roof repair based on square meters (m2). This method may be more precise and range in price from $15 to $35 on average. However, the cost per square meter varies according to a variety of variables, including:
- What kind of rooﬁng material has to be ﬁxed?
- The quality of the rooﬁng supplies used in the
- The complexity of the roof
- The pitch and/or intricacy of the roof.
- The skill of the roof repairing plumber
- The type of repair being done (e.g., restoration or roof leak repair)
We have listed the average roof repair cost for restoration based on cost per square:
- 100 to 150 square meter roof: $3,000–$4,700
- 150 to 200 square meter roof: $4,700–$6,300
- 200 to 250 square meter roof: $6,300–$9,400
- 250 to 300 square meter roof: $9,400–$12,500
You should budget for roof plumbing repair to cost at least $50 per hour and often closer to $100. However, if the task is crucial, you may negotiate a set cost with the roof plumber. In such a situation, the ﬁnal price can be lower. Hourly charges range from $40 to $90 per hour.
Repairing a small roof leak will cost less than replacing cracked tiles. Examples of typical roof maintenance and repair costs are as follows:
- Smaller ﬁxes: $1000
- Gutter replacement cost: $1,200
- Roof tile replacement cost: $1,300
- Ridge cap repairs: $2,000
- Mortar replacement: $2,500
The average plumbing cost of roof repairing is also variable in different locations. Find out the charges based on your state:
- A: $125 – $250
- Tasmania: $91 – $287
- New South Wales: $150 – $400
- Victoria: $150 – $315
- Queensland: $130 – $372
How Much Does It Cost To Fx A Regular Leak?
Small plumbing ﬁxes like clearing a clog or repairing a leaking faucet usually cost between $125 and $350. The cost of repairing a bathroom leak varies depending on where the leak is coming from, how di cult it is to ﬁx, and whether it is a broken pipe or just a worn-out washer.
You may need to ﬁx nearby spots depending on the kind of leak. The following is the national average for repairing a leak:
- Maximum: $300 to $1,100
- Floor Leaks: $200-$500
- Bathroom ﬁxtures: $150 to $350
- Leaky toilet: $148 to $343.
- Leaky Sink or Tub Faucet: $100 to $300
- Shower Leak: $150 to $500
The list of average costs for shower leak repairing based on states in Australia:
- A: $120 – $125
- Tasmania: $53 – $131
- New South Wales: $89 – $136
- Victoria: $100 – $180
- Queensland: $90 – $153