Among the things that you should prioritize as a worker are your safety and comfort when you’re already in the workplace. One way on how to keep you safe and comfortable at work is to wear the right clothes and gears.
By wearing the right clothing, you no longer have to worry about getting injured at work or feeling utmost discomfort when performing your daily chores. This article will give you some tips on the things you should wear in the workplace designed to keep you both safe and comfortable.
1, Protective Clothes
In choosing protective clothes, you have to ensure that all of them are enough for your needs and suitable for your work, the environment you’re working on, and your personality. Here are some tips to guide you in making your choice:
- Assess the level of risk in your workplace – In this case, you should determine the specific substances you’re constantly exposed to – gasses, liquids, particulates, etc. Check the risks related to the substances, as well.
Make sure to determine environmental and physical hazards, like rough surfaces, sharp instruments, and heavy machinery, as such is the key to figuring out the kind of protective clothes and work pants you need.
- Choose the right fabric – Look for protective clothes and work pants made of fabric, which is not only comfortable but also lightweight and breathable.
In case your work exposes you to non-hazardous substances, like dirt, grime, and sand, then it’s advisable to choose a fabric, which has the highest particulate holdout properties. It should also have high resistance to outside particulates.
Furthermore, it should still allow moisture, vapor, and air to pass through, thereby boosting your comfort level.
- Assess the construction of seams – Protective clothes that feature seams at the back are preferable because such can provide more protection. Also, it is necessary to understand the different types of seams.
Serged seam, for instance, is the most basic seam construction for protection apparel. If you want the seam to be strong and durable, then go for one, which features a 3-thread overlap stitch.
You can also go for a taped seam, which is just similar to the first one but comes with a film tape, further reinforcing it by making it more resistant to liquid chemicals. There is also the bound seam, which is reinforced for tear resistance and strength.
2, Protective Footwear and Work Boots
Of course, you also need to invest in the right protective footwear and work boots to keep you safe in the workplace. Some tips that will help ensure that you’ll be investing in the right pair of work boots are the following:
- Prioritize your safety – Be fully aware of the specific risks in your workplace. Your best choice would be safety toe caps – either composite or steel – as well as those with puncture-resistant soles, and metatarsal guards.
It should also have special construction materials that can protect you from sharp metal edges, electrical and chemical hazards, and falling objects.
- Assess the soles – Ensure that the soles are suitable for your working conditions. Note that such can be designed in such a way that they can resist slips and offer protection against electrical shock, puncture, and heat.
- Does it have a moisture-wicking lining? – Such is an essential feature because it keeps your feet dry while preventing corns and blisters.
- Check for stability – Look for a footwear or work boot, which features a wide base and flat soles. Both of these can improve the stability of the footwear, especially when you need to work on uneven surfaces.
- Get adequate support – In this case, you need a footwear with strong heel counters as such can boost ankle stability while fitting snugly. A puncture-resistant midsole or wedge bottom sole can also improve arch and ankle support.
- Make sure you’re comfortable – Choose a work boot or footwear, which is comfortable to wear from the first time you try it on. It should not require a lengthy break-in period.
3, Other Protective Gears and Clothes to Invest in
Hats, caps and safety helmets – These are also among the things you need, especially if your work requires you to deal with a lot of hazards. Look for one, which can protect your head from falling debris and blows.
Also, go for one with protective systems that serve as shock absorbers in case something falls on your head. You can also find those that can protect you from electrical shock.
Protective glasses – You need these glasses to keep your eyes safe from all forms of harm while in the workplace. Look for goggles or safety glasses that can protect you from job hazards that might injure your eyes.
Ensure that the glasses have all the safety features you need. They should have top, bottom and side protection. Furthermore, there should be adjustable straps and nose pieces for the glasses to fit various faces and conditions.
Gloves – Work gloves are also crucial in keeping you safe. Look for gloves that can offer excellent hand protection and performance. They should be made of materials that are perfect for the tasks you need to do regularly.
They should also be capable of preventing minor to major injuries. Look for one with excellent grip and dexterity while also being able to resist punctures and prevent cuts. It should also be able to make you feel comfortable at work.
If you want to know how to keep you safe and comfortable at work, then note that the answer is on wearing the right protective clothes and gears. Fortunately, you now have ample idea on what to wear at work to keep you safe with all the information stated in this article.