The Benefits, Pros, And Cons Of Using Steam Cleaners
Both businesses and homeowners often prefer steam cleaning over other cleaning methods. Aside from being an affordable and highly effective cleaning solution, the cleaning power of steam kills 99.9 percent of bacteria.
Still, a lot of people have different opinions about how truly effective steam mops are. However, you can’t deny the fact that compared to traditional bucket and mop, these machines have benefits unique to them.
Pros Of Steam Cleaning
Here’s a list of reasons why a lot of people are choosing steam mops over other traditional cleaning methods like vacuums and mops:
- Time To Clean. You’ll need lesser time to clean, and you don’t need to drag a heavy vacuum or bucket around the room or keep changing water when it becomes dirty.
- Sanitizes Your Home. Steam cleaning is very effective at getting rid of bacteria and germs without the need to use harmful and toxic chemicals.
- Eco-Friendly. You only need water, so not only is it healthier for the family but it’s much better for the environment as well.
- Multi-Purpose. You can use the best steam mop at cleaning tiles, floors, carpets, and even your drapes. You can also use it to clean your windows as well as remove stubborn grime from your bathroom floors.
- Highly Effective. Steam cleaners are efficient at tackling areas with a lot of traffic that have ground-in stains and dirt such as offices and schools.
- Easy To Maintain. Depending on the type or model you’ll buy, cleaning your machine is as easy as throwing its reusable filter or pad into your washing machine. So not only will your unit last longer, but it will also save you money in the long run.
Cons Of Steam Cleaning
While these cleaning machines are efficient and versatile, using it does still come with some disadvantages that you should be aware:
- It’s Very Hot. The equipment uses steam that can go at a really high temperature. For some people, this may be a safety concern. You only have to learn how to use your steam mop and your cleaning solutions properly, as well as be aware of it to prevent injuries.
- You Have To Clean More Often. You may need to clean more often than usual compared to using other methods of cleaning. But this will also depend on the type of floor you have and the power of your machine.
- Warm-Up Time. There are machines that may take a bit longer to warm up. Before making any purchase, make sure to do your research first and read reviews online. Also, watch above John Matarese – Looks Into Steam Mops video to ensure you’ll get the right one for your needs and budget.
- More Expensive. They do cost more than your average mop and bucket combo but keep in mind that you only need water to use it.
Steam Mop Features You Need To Consider
Here are some features you may want to consider when you’re on the market for a steam mop:
- Continuous Refill. This feature allows for refilling the machine’s water supply as it does the job. Older models only have a single tank for boiling the water. You have to let the steam mop cool down first when it’s empty before adding water again to boil and steam. Newer models now come with two tanks for holding cold water and boiling it to steam.
- Faster Heating Time. A regular steam cleaner can boil water between seven to fifteen minutes. However, there are units which can do in five minutes.
- Consistent Steam Pressure. Some people look for a steam mop with a higher pressure. That may be a good feature, but it is better to look for a machine that provides consistent steam pressure so that it’ll always give you a reliable cleaning experience.
- Steam Volume Control. This helpful feature allows for efficient cleaning and lets you have control over the amount of steam you want to use. There are cleaning jobs that require less steam while there are those that need more.
Best Steam Mops: A Quick Comparison
We’ve narrow down your choices with three of the best steam mops out there:
Best Overall: Bissell – 19404 PowerFresh. The PowerFresh from Bissell is a lightweight steam mop that combines affordability and affordability. It will be a great addition to your cleaning tools.
- Type: Multi-purpose
- Tank Capacity in ml: 1420
- Removable Power Tank: None
Best for your Budget: Shark – Steam Pocket S3501. The Steam Pocket is easy to use, compact, and lightweight. It’s an impressive machine that can take on tough messes considering its price tag.
- Type: Basic
- Tank Capacity in ml: 450
- Removable Power Tank: None
Best for Pet Owners: Bissell – Symphony 1543A. If you have pets at home, Bissell Symphony is the one for you. It features a powerful vacuum that can easily pick up debris pet hairs while it’s steam function shines and sanitizes your floors.
- Type: Multi-Purpose
- Tank Capacity in ml: 384
- Removable Power Tank: Yes