Double glazing first emerged in the early 1970s and was initially developed to combat the massive heat loss that escapes through a single pane of glass, which is quite considerable. Double glazing works by reducing the temperature difference between the inside and outside of a building, and with a hermetically sealed double-glazed unit, the amount of heat loss is greatly reduced.
Here are just a few of the benefits that double glazing offers the homeowner:
- Energy Saving – Due to the high insulating properties that double-glazed windows have, it requires less energy to keep the interior of your home at the desired temperature. While double glazing is extremely effective in freezing climates, it also provides effective insulation when it is hot outside, thus keeping the majority of cool air that the air-conditioning provides. In both hot and cold climates, double glazing can drastically reduce the amount of energy required to maintain the desired climate inside a building. We are living in an era where everyone is trying to save energy, and installing double glazed windows and doors in your home is an environmentally friendly thing to do.
- Maintenance Free –UPVC frames do not require any maintenance, and the surface is guaranteed not to fade, crack or split. There are many UPVC window suppliers, and the units are made to exact measurements, which ensures a perfect fit every time, and with a range of attractive colours that include a faux timber grain finish, you can enhance the appearance of your home. Most double glazing companies offer a comprehensive 10-year guarantee, and if the windows are professionally installed, there’s very little that can go wrong.
- Superior Security – Burglars are all too aware of how difficult it is to force entry through a double-glazed window or door, therefore installing these windows provides an excellent deterrent to thieves. The units typically have locks on all the openings, and the UPVC frames are steel-reinforced, which makes forced entry practically impossible. All units are made with toughened safety glass as standard, and with triple locking on sliding doors, you couldn’t have better home security than UPVC double glazing.
- Improved Sound Insulation – Double glazing offers excellent sound insulation, which is ideal for shift workers and those who wish to have some peace. So good is this sound insulation that many homeowners are shocked when the windows are first installed, as everything is so quiet, so if you live near an airport, railway line or busy road, double glazing is the perfect solution.
- Boost the Value of your Property – Installing double glazed UPVC windows and doors will undoubtedly add value to your property, and should you ever wish to sell, having UPVC double-glazed windows in a big selling point.
If you would like to explore the potential that double glazing offers, a Google search will help you to locate a nearby supplier, who would be happy to send an expert to your home, where you can both discuss the many options.