The basement has always been used to store goods and various sundries. With the increasing demand for refined spatial layout, its function is no longer as simple as storage. Sometimes, the limitations of the above-ground space are precisely where the advantages of the underground space lie. A homeowner can build an open gym here, or a wine cellar, or even a luxurious cinema-like theater! The basement interior design and decoration are critical and more emphasis should be put on them.
Due to the lack of sufficient natural lighting and ventilation measures in most basements, and infrequent use, it is prone to mold walls, damp furniture, dampness in summer, and dampness in winter. Once a basement has been renovated, the finishing aspects dictate the room’s outward appearance.
Points To Note For Basement Decoration
The process of basement finishing is literally making decorations that would enhance its visual effect. Therefore, certain rules of thumb must be applied before the process begins.
- Before decorating the basement, carefully check the basement drawings, whether various function rooms are complete, and whether the location of the equipment room, boiler room, meter reading room, letter room, etc. is reasonable.
- Before the basement decoration construction unit enters the site, it should converge with the supervision unit and the civil construction unit to hand over the work surface. Focus on checking whether the top of the wall meets the decoration requirements, or notify the civil construction unit to rectify it until it is qualified.
- The basement equipment installation unit enters the site as soon as possible to avoid conflicts with the work surface of the decoration unit, cross-work, and repeated construction.
- The basement entrance and exit should fully consider a water interception ditch to cope with the rainwater. Large amounts of water will be poured into the basement in a short time; therefore, an interception ditch should be made at the door of the elevator and driveway and the entrance of the boiler room to avoid rainwater from entering the room.
- The basement’s outdoor wall must be waterproofed to prevent rain or groundwater from leaking into the basement, causing damage to the decoration surface.
- The decoration materials used in the basement must be moisture-proof and mildew-proof suitable for the humid environment of the basement.
Basement Finishing Guidelines
The Stairs Must Meet The Requirements
Stairs are the only way to the basement. They must meet the requirements during decoration. The main one is that more attention should be paid to the location. The structure, railings, and other shapes can be selected according to the overall space.
Basement ceilings are mainly divided into three: gypsum board, grating board, and piping system. The Gypsum board and the grating board can hide everything, which is no different from the ceiling.
Because of the moisture problem in the basement, it is best not to install wooden floors. One can choose tile floors or concrete slabs. Among them, the concrete floor is a more affordable choice and has an excellent moisture-proof effect.
Precautions For Basement Decoration
Moisture-Proof To Sustain The Durability Of Decorations
Moisture is the first challenge in basement decoration that needs a priority solution. Consequently, in the choice of materials, use stuff with a better moisture-proof effect should be selected. Generally speaking, vitrified bricks are used on the basement floor, wallpaper for walls, and gypsum board ceilings for ceilings. The moisture-proof effect of these materials is quite good.
Day-Lighting To Enhance Visibility
Day-lighting is a problem that needs to be solved in the basement. If the basement is under the ground, there is no way to get light through the door or window. Therefore, one must choose the lighting fixtures and choose the ones with better brightness. Another trick is to arrange the glass for items to refract light to increase the light in the basement.
Air Circulation Makes The Place Fabulous
Basements are generally dull places with inadequate ventilation. When decorating, one must have ventilation equipment, install exhaust fans, and ventilate frequently. Besides, add some vibrant green plants, which can significantly improve the basement. Ventilation in the basement is not like the rooms on the ground, relying on windows to naturally circulate, which forms ventilation. It must depend on ventilation equipment to send the same amount of fresh outdoor air into the room.
Use Less Wood For Decoration
Some people like to use wood when decorating. The original ecological wood timber texture makes people feel comfortable, but it is not suitable for basements. Wooden cabinets and wooden floors will be corrupted, blackened, and deformed over the years. Therefore, the decoration layout in the basement should not use wood as much as possible.
Be Careful Of Pollution
Due to the high humidity, high temperature, and poor ventilation in the basement, this is undoubtedly the environment where indoor pollutants are most easily released and freed! Moreover, the basement space is often used as entertainment and leisure spaces such as audio-visual rooms, wine cellars, and gymnasiums. These spaces will use a large number of panels, resulting in a large number of indoor pollutants. The finishing project is a widespread phenomenon that the indoor pollutants in the basement are in excess. This calls for an indoor cleaning system, enough water, and a dustbin for proper sanitation.
The General Output
Finishing basements is a simple process; the main thing is to protect the surfaces from moisture penetration qualitatively. One can apply plaster or even immediately paint walls and ceilings.
Finishing Work Inside The Basement
Miscalculations in the construction of walls and overlapping of the basement, poor waterproofing, and inadequate ventilation lead to increased humidity in the basement’s air space, which does not contribute to the long-term storage of blanks for the winter. High-quality finishing work will help to reduce the moisture in the basement. When all these factors are met with the right solutions, then the basement becomes a superior fantastic room to spend time in.