Whether you are building a new roof or replacing the old one, yourself or with the help of a professional, it is important to understand the entire Roof installation process to ensure that it is done properly. After all, you would want your roof to be strong and durable enough to sustain harsh weather conditions, storms, and even earthquakes.
Here are some simple steps involved in Roof installation that one must be aware of:
Getting Rid of Old Roofing
Before installing the new roof, remove the old one from the sheathing. Avoid putting the new roof as a layer above the old, as this can lead to collapse later. Ideally, tear off the roof and prepare a roof deck.
Deciding On The Type Of Roofing
Before you begin the roof installation process, you must decide on the type of roof you want to install. Generally, three types of the roof may be installed – Shingle roofing, corrugated metal roofing, and clay tile roofing- Every kind of roofing has a different installation process.
Examine And Evaluate
If there are any parts in the sheathing that need to be repaired – take precautions for the same or replace it with a new one. Doing so can help to avoid future hassles.
- For Shingle Roofing: Ensure Nail type, location, length, angle, and force of application are in place.
- Precautions For People Living In Cold Climates And Moist Areas: If you live in areas that see more snowfall and rain, an ice and water barrier around the roof is a must. The barrier will add strength and durability to your roof.
- Use A Durable Underlayment: The underlayment you choose must be strong and of the highest quality. Nail this to the roof edges. The underlayment must cap both sides of the roof.
- Begin From Bottom To Top: Whether you are opting for a Step and counter flashing, ridge vents, and ridge capping installation, ensure that you begin the installation process from bottom to top.
- Clean Up And Inspection: Once the entire roof installation process is completed, ensure that the site is cleaned up properly to avoid accidents. Inspect for any loose ends/ jagged edges that need to be fine-tuned. You must be delighted at the end.
A Few Safety Tips While Installing Your Roof:
While changing the roofing of your home/ office, there are certain safety tips that you must follow:
- Maintain a clean and clutter-free work area, provide adequate workspace.
- Keep children away.
- Check unsafe roof areas, which may lead to falling.
- Check for any loose power lines, which might cause an electric shock while working.
- To avoid damaging your plants, use traps.
- Ensure all roof hangings are removed to avoid damage.
- All sprinkler systems should be disconnected- Working on a wet roof should be avoided entirely as a slippery wet surface may result in a fall.
- Remove items below the roof being installed that may be damaged by falling debris.
- The person undertaking the roofing must wear footwear with a strong grip.
- Always keep safety equipment at hand like a safety harness, helmet, gloves, net, and guard rails.
- Try and have someone assist the roofer while he climbs the ladder for additional safety.
If your roof intersects a surface, there will always be a danger of water seeping in. Under such circumstances, ensure that these critical areas are waterproofed. Installing flashing can do this. During roof installation, do not forget to install vents, as these are essential for ventilation.