A roof is the highest piece of a house. It protects us from the scorching heat of the sun, the rain, the wind, snow, etc. There are different types of materials available in the market, which can be used for the roofing of a house. They are as follows:
- Metal – This type of roofing gained much popularity in the market because of its durability and rustic curb appeal. Different forms of metal roofs for homes are available such as individual metal tiles, sheets of metal, etc. The price depends upon the type of metal used in roofing. Metal is a durable material and is lightweight. Thus, it is easy to install. They are resistant to all kinds of unfavorable weather.
- Asphalt Shingles – They are the most profitable and popular material in the market. You will get a wide range of styles and colors of this material in the market. Depending on the sturdiness of the product, the price differs.
- Wood Shingles and Shakes – This type of material provide great looks and a rustic and cottage variety feels to your property. Cedar, redwood, and southern pine are the most common type of woods used. They require regular maintenance and are not fire-resistant.
- Slate – This type of material is attractive and costly. They are sturdy and can resistant to any adverse weather conditions. But, they are not a good choice for high heat areas and are heavy.
- Tile – concrete or clay – They can withstand any weather conditions as well as fire. This type of roof for homes is heavy and sturdy. They are available in a variety of styles and colors.
How to Pick the Best Roofing Material for Your Home?
Metal roofing materials include stainless steel, copper, steel, aluminum, and zinc alloys. Each material has its properties that affect the price, durability, and appearance. The most common types of metal roofs for homes are:
- Aluminum – This type of material is extremely light in weight. They don’t rust if coated ore are painted for appearance. These coatings are similar that is used on steel. Aluminum is a soft metal, so it can quickly ruin and dent. It is not as rigid as steel. So, environmentalists express their worries about using this material for roofing.
- Steel – This type of metal roofs for homes is much durable and heavier than aluminum. There are some sturdier coatings and finishes available, which helps to protect the steel from corrosion and rusting. Zinc coating is used to protect the steel from corrosion, and then it is sealed.
Other forms of metal roofs for homes are also available such as alloy roofing, copper metal roofing, stainless steel roofing, etc.
- Alloy roofing is prepared in such a way so that they get sturdiness, strength, and stylish weathering.
- Copper metal roofing is resistant to rust. It has no finish to peel or scratch. It is very costly.
- Stainless steel roofing – It is a costly roofing material, which will not corrode and rust quickly.
Benefits of Metal Roofing
There are numerous options available in the market for roofing. Metal roofs are the most popular among all of them. The benefits of metal roofs are as follows:
- Sturdiness – They offer unbelievable protection from harsh winds and heavy rains. These metal roofs for homes don’t corrode or crack. Instead, they are impact-resistant and fire-resistant.
- Low Maintenance – This type of roof requires little maintenance as compared to the others. They can easily be cleaned with plain water, which happens during heavy rains. Only an inspection must be done periodically to check for any damages.
- Prolonged Existence – This material is much more durable and long-lasting than the other roofing materials. Its lifespan is about 40 to 70 years.
Thus, these were some of the options for your consideration for metal roofs for homes.