Having access to fresh, clean running water in your house on-demand is a luxury that most people don’t give a second thought to nowadays. You know that you can turn on the tap to your sink, bathtub, or shower, and endless clean fresh water will be provided to you. But is that really the case? Is the water as “clean” and natural as you may think? In reality, there could be several substances in your tap water that you’re drinking that aren’t good for you and that you weren’t aware of.
One common thing you’ll find in tap water is chlorine. While you may be familiar with chlorine being used in swimming pools as a cleaner, it’s also found in tap water as a way to treat it and kill off microorganisms and bacteria. At the core, it is a useful chemical to add, but if there is too much chlorine in the water you’re drinking, you could be doing yourself harm. Let’s take a look at what too much chlorine in your tap water can do to you.
Surface Issues – It Can Cause Dry Itchy Skin
Let’s start with the very surface issues: too much chlorine in the water can cause dry itchy skin. If you find your skin is dehydrated and itchy after your bath or shower, it could be a signal that the chlorine levels are exceptionally high. Even if you’re doing a good job applying body moisturizer after your bath or shower, that dry, itchy feeling can persist.
Burning Feeling In The Mouth
Another red flag is a burning feeling in your mouth after you drink the water. It may even be throat pain, stomach pain, or even swelling of the throat you suffer from. If this is the case, it likely means the chlorine levels are quite high, and you should do use an at-home test kit to be sure.
According to the Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974, safe limits are four milligrams per liter regulated by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency). Any higher than that, you risk issues.
Low Blood Pressure
Did you know that high chlorine levels in the water can also lead to circulatory system issues such as low blood pressure? This shouldn’t be the only symptom you rely on, as low blood pressure can result from several things, but certainly, high amounts of chlorine can do it. It can even go so far as to change the pH balance of your blood.
Blood In Stools
If you are suddenly noticing the appearance of blood in your stool, this is always causing concern and should be followed up on with your doctor. One potential cause, however, is too much chlorine in the water.
This is just a small look at the many issues too much chlorine in your tap water can cause. If you have any concerns at all, the home test kit is an excellent place to start. Using a water filter that you change regularly will help filter out contaminants.