Today, you can find many options for pre-assembled and stock cabinets. While they often come at a lower price, stock cabinets may not meet all of your needs or come in your preferred style. A custom wood cabinet, however, will be made to your specifications.
From style to functionality, custom cabinets are tailored to your needs and often offer a higher level of quality. If you’re purchasing new cabinets for your home, it’s essential to consider the advantages of going the custom route.
Here are some of the many benefits of custom cabinets.
Functional Storage Space
Custom cabinets can be built to meet your storage needs, whether you choose fully or semi custom cabinets.
When you go the custom route, you can adjust:
- Cabinet sizes. If you need an exceptionally tall or an unusually sized cabinet for your unique storage needs (appliances, office storage, etc.), you can meet these needs with a custom cabinet. For wardrobes, you can customize the size to fit perfectly into your space. If your room has an angled ceiling or other challenging architectural features, a custom cabinet will allow you to use that space. You may be unable to find stock cabinets that will work in your unique space.
- Door features. Maybe you prefer mesh or glass panels in your cabinet doors to easily see what’s stored inside. With custom cabinets, you can add these features. Perhaps you have a unique ornamental design you want or a mirrored finish. All of these options are possible when you choose the custom route.
- From wine storage to office supplies and wardrobe needs, you can customize your shelving style and design with custom cabinets.
When you choose custom cabinets, you can adjust the style and size of your cabinets to meet your functional storage needs. That’s an advantage that’s hard to find with stock cabinets, which are mass-produced and offer no option for customization.
If you have special storage needs or want a better way to improve your storage, a custom cabinet is a smart choice.
Types Of Cabinets
One great advantage of custom cabinets is that you’re not limited to the types of cabinets on the showroom floor. Instead, you can choose your preferred type as well as the style, color, and material.
No matter your purpose for the cabinet, you will find that you have a wide range of options when it comes to design.
As for the cabinet itself, there are three main types to choose from:
- Partial overlay: These were the standard type for many years. With this type, the door only covers part of the cabinet’s face frame, so much of the frame is still exposed.
- Inset: With this type of cabinet, the door sits inside of the cabinet frame so that the openings are flush with the frame. They’re ideal for craftsman-style and traditional home styles.
- Full overlay: With a full overlay cabinet, the door front covers nearly all of the cabinet frame. This style is most common in modern and contemporary kitchens.
Within these types, you may find different door styles, colors, and materials. All of these components can be customized to your wants and needs. For example, you can have a mirrored finish for a wardrobe cabinet or a matte finish for a custom cabinet placed in the entryway. The possibilities are endless when choosing a custom cabinet.
Benefits Of A Bespoke Cabinet
Bespoke cabinets have many advantages, including added functional storage and a customized look. With custom cabinets, you can:
- Choose a size that best meets your needs
- Add or remove shelving to meet your unique storage needs
- Choose specialized styles, colors, and materials
Although custom cabinet pricing is a bit higher than stock and pre-assembled options, the quality and added function outweigh the convenience and savings.
A custom cabinet is uniquely yours and built to your standards. That’s arguably one of its greatest advantages. If you have special storage needs or want a custom piece that reflects your personality, a custom cabinet is the way to go. When going the custom route, stick to experienced professionals who have the expertise to craft the cabinet you envision in the style and color you prefer.