Blocked drains, could be a nuisance, if not detected and treated at an early stage. They can lead to severe leakages, overflows, and even electrical damages. The outdoor drain blockage is caused by a buildup of dead leaves, tree roots, branches, etc. Blocked drains are the breeding grounds for mosquitoes and other insects, and the foul water from the blocked drains can also contaminate significant portions of the underground water, and create an unsatisfactory condition for your health.
What are the causes of blocked drains?
- Foreign Objects like soap, jewelers, toys, paper get lodged in the drain leading to blockage.
- Plants: Most of the robot’s head towards the drain in search of moisture, thus cracking the pipes leading to blockage. Either due to rainwater or due to overgrown roots that block the drainage system, the blocked drains create a severe problem during monsoons.
- Hair: is the primary cause of blocked drains. They get accumulated in the pipe, preventing water from flowing freely.
- Kitchen waste: Peels, a greasy, and fatty substance that enters the drain become problematic. They do not exit the pipes instead of a stick inside, causing a significant and stubborn build-up.
- Toiletries: Waste like a sanitary waste, tissues, wipes, etc. do not disintegrate quickly. Infect, most of them get swollen when immersed in water leading to blocked drains.
- Quality of pipes used: usage of fragile or vitrified clay pipes needs to be fitted carefully to avoid any problems leading to blockages. Blocked drains can also be the result of misaligned pipes during a home renovation project.
To prevent blockages, it is necessary to monitor what goes down the drain regularly.
- It is carefully scrapping all the leftover in the bin. It is advisable to use a cleaning detergent or soap that breaks down the grease and oil used for cooking. Excess grease and oil should not be poured into the kitchen sink. A flush of hot water down the kitchen drain helps melt the grease preventing it from clinging onto the pipes.
- Bathroom: Avoid throwing anything in drains. These foreign objects collect with other debris, causing a blockage. Sanitary should be thrown into dustbins as they jam the narrow pipes leading to overflow of water.
- Outdoor drainage: The outdoor waste washing down the drain quickly causes obstruction, as they do not wash away easily. Regular cleaning of the roof and the garden can avoid the collection of outdoor debris.
Blockages are a result of the accumulation of muck and detritus of the past few months.
- How to unclog blocked drains? Plunger: The use of a plunger starts clearing the area in and around the drain. It creates a suction that starts making the pipe eventually.
- Hair removal cream: Pour it into the drain and allow it to stay for approximately 30 minutes. Flush the waste with force of water. It will dilute most of the debris blocking the pipe.
- Soda Bicarbonate: Pour a cup of bicarb soda into the drain, followed by an equal quantity of water. The reaction will cause a lot of foam and pressure leading to flushing out of waste.
- Manual approach: Use of drain snake or opened clothes hanger or long wire to hook and bring up blocking waste in the pipe like hair, wipes, etc.
- The last approach is seeking professional help in case the blockage is stubborn and is damaging the pipe.
Every house understands the importance of kitchen and bathroom drainage. These are the areas that are used regularly and tend to get dirty quickly. Blocked drains not only cause unpleasant situations but are also very difficult to be cleaned.
You can call the professional plumbers to get rid of the foul stench, as they investigate the depth of the drains with updated instruments, and then they clear and unclog the drain.