Just as with any other service providers you call round to your home, you want to feel comfortable and confident in your lawn care provider. You should feel that you can trust that the job will be done well even if you are not there to supervise, that any special instructions will be followed and that you truly get what you pay for.
But if the reason you’re hiring someone to care for your lawn is that you don’t know enough about lawn care yourself, it can be hard to know what to ask for or even to feel confident that you’re not being duped.
To help you out, here are some tips for selecting a great lawn care company:
- What kind of certifications, licenses, and insurance does the company have? It’s important to know what experience and qualifications a lawn care provider has since they often work with potentially hazardous chemicals. Insurance is also essential. Lawn mowing equipment can be dangerous, and you will want to know that the company’s insurance will cover any accidents.
- Is the company part of a professional organization? Professional organizations often hold their members to certain industry standards. Membership in such an organization, and compliance with their guidelines, is a good sign.
- What is the company’s lawn care philosophy? If you are environmentally conscious and want to avoid the use of harsh chemicals on your lawn, you need a lawn care provider whose philosophy aligns with yours.
- What services are provided? A lot more goes into lawn care than meets the eye. Extra services may be offered or included as a package deal, such as irrigation or watering, fertilization, control, general pest control, integrated pest management, seeding, aeration, weed control, lawn edging, etc., of course, lawn mowing and weed whacking. Find out if you are expected to supply things like seeds and fertilizers.
- What kinds of contracts are available? Try not to get locked into a long contract. If you’re not happy with the service received after just a couple of months, you should be able to fire your lawn care provider without fuss.
- What is the service schedule? Specifically, which months of the year are they active? How often do they mow the lawn? How often is the lawn fertilized? If you need them to come at a certain time or on a certain day, are they amenable? What happens if the weather is poor?
- Will the company notify you of problems or recommended treatments? Ideally, of course, they will keep you informed of any changes. You don’t want to be blindsided by extra charges or find out that a powerful pesticide was used when you would rather have tried something else.
- How is the equipment maintained? Equipment that isn’t well-maintained won’t do as good of a job over time. In particular, the lawn mowing blades should be regularly sharpened. In fact, for a professional company, every day is ideal!
Do Your Own Research
Thanks to the Internet, it’s easy to find reviews on just about any business. Check online to see ratings of local lawn care companies, and read the comments thoroughly. Reviews can help you determine if the company is reliable, trustworthy, knowledgeable, and customer-oriented.
A great way to find a good lawn care service is to ask your neighbors and friends. Find the prettiest lawn on your street and inquire as to which lawn care service they use. Ask friends about their experiences with professionals in this field so that you not only know who to call for an estimate but also who to avoid.
Spend some time finding out what you need from a lawn care service. Do you really want someone to come to mow your lawn every week, so you don’t have to bother? If so, make sure you don’t end up paying for a bunch of unnecessary add-ons. When you get an estimate, ask for a detailed fee schedule to know exactly how much everything costs, should you need additional services in the future.
Finding a lawn care provider isn’t just about finding the most knowledgeable person, although that is certainly an important factor; it’s also about finding someone you trust and can rely on, to be honest with you. This is easier to determine after speaking with someone and after a trial period. It’s absolutely okay to try out a few providers to make sure you are delighted with your chosen professional.