Despite the little attention it usually receives, a mattress is probably the most important item in a room. It’s here, after all, where you usually lie down to sleep after a long day at work, or where you relax while reading your favorite book. In short, most of the activities you engage in on the mattress enable you to recharge your energies so you can face the world another day.
Because of the crucial role a mattress plays in your life, it’s important that you settle for the best ones. Thus, here are several factors you need to consider before deciding which is the best mattress to sleep on:
The mattress you choose should provide you with the comfort that you need. Since comfort can be subjective, you shouldn’t just rely on what the salesperson tells you. You should sit on the mattress first, lie down on your side, on your back, roll from side to side, you name it, so you’d know if the firmness of the product is acceptable to you.
These are the types of mattresses you can choose from:
- Innerspring Mattresses: These are the most common ones. They’re usually firm because springs and coils comprise their core. They also provide excellent support.
- Memory-Foam Mattresses: They’re a combination of springs and support foam. They are typically soft and are known for their ability to mold into the shape of the person lying down.
- Air Mattresses: Their firmness or softness are customizable. They’re, however, pricey.
- Latex Foam Mattresses: They’re like memory-foam mattresses but have a more “bouncy” feel.
- Hybrid Mattresses: A combination of memory foam and latex foam mattresses with innerspring mattresses.
The size of the mattress you use doesn’t only depend on the size of the people who’ll be using it. You have to give a little bit of allowance for any other movement you or your companion will make in the course of your sleep. Your mattress should, therefore, be way longer and wider than you and your companion combined. This is to ensure that despite your movements, you’ll remain within the boundaries of the mattress.
Although mattress sizes typically vary, there are standard dimensions for each size category in each country. These are the mattress sizes you can choose from in the United States:
- King Size: 193 centimeters x 203 cm
- California King Size: 183 cm x 213 cm
- Queen Size: 168 cm x 203 cm
- Full Size: 137 cm x 191 cm
- Twin XL Size: 99 cm x 203 cm
- Twin Size: 99 cm x 191 cm
When choosing the size of a mattress, don’t forget to also take into consideration the dimensions of the bed. A mattress can’t be bigger than the bed that holds it in place. Although the mattress should technically be smaller than the bed, it should not be too small to the point where there’s space between the boundaries of the mattress and the boundaries of the bed. The fit of the mattress and the furniture should be just right for you to have a comfortable sleep.
The ultimate guide to buying an oversized mattress! Oversized beds including Alaskan king beds and family beds. How and where to order large mattresses.
In choosing the perfect mattress, you should also consider the cost. In the mattress industry, higher rates don’t always equate with higher quality. A price that’s too low, however, say, $500 for a Queen-sized bed, should also trigger suspicions as it can mean lower quality in the long run.
To give you the perfect allowance to choose, try a minimum budget of $1000. If a king-sized or California King bed is what you want, $1500 is considered a comfortable budget.
Since you’ll be investing your money to purchase that mattress, you must get your money’s worth. On average, good mattresses should last you eight to ten years. If your mattress starts to sag in less than four years, then you just wasted $1000 on that product.
Unlike the other factors you need to consider when purchasing a mattress, durability is not seen, and can only be proven once the product has been with you for long. As a buyer, though, you can minimize the risk of purchasing mattresses that are not worth your money. For this, you can use the Internet to your advantage.
Here are some things you can do:
- Research mattress brands and check the typical durability of each product.
- Visit online forums to check the opinions of mattress buyers who’ve had first-hand experience with the product for a time.
- Check mattress reviews from blogs and other online sources.
Choosing a mattress always requires careful thought. A mattress, after all, is a big investment, and you naturally want to have your money’s worth.
Research first so you’re prepared when you go to the store, and you can describe in detail to the sales personnel what exactly you’re looking for. If you do your homework, there’s no reason you can’t score the right mattress that will give you a good night’s sleep.