In reality, no one in the house thinks about the importance of having fire extinguishers. They always believe that no fire is going to happen that can change everybody’s lives forever. However, you must remember that being prepared with your fire extinguishers can reduce the potential costly damage of fire in your home. These fire safety devices can make a huge difference in fighting small to deadly fires that may occur in your home.
Below are the essential reasons why you should have fire extinguishers in your home:
Keep Fires From Growing Out Of Control
Because of the fire extinguishers’ chemical components, these portable devices are intended to control or eliminate fires by releasing a jet of gas, foam, water, and other materials. When used properly, they can be useful in preventing flames from growing out of control and become extremely dangerous.
For this reason, it’s always smart to store fire extinguishers in your home in the event a fire breaks out and potentially damages your properties. However, you should keep in mind that these devices come in four classes, which are designed to put out a different type of fire. These are the following fire extinguisher classes you need to get familiar with:
- Class A – This fire extinguisher can be used to control or extinguish fires coming from combustible materials such as paper and wood.
- Class B – This fire extinguisher can be used to fight fires caused by flammable liquids such as gasoline, grease, and oil.
- Class C – This fire extinguisher can be the best fire safety device for electrically-triggered fires.
- Class D – This fire extinguisher is intended for putting out fires caused by flammable metals.
Now that you know the different classes of fire extinguishers, the next step to do is to make sure you’ll use the right device for a specific fire. Luckily, there are multipurpose extinguishers labeled as A-B-C, which you can use for more than one type of fire. Instead of buying each class of extinguishers, you have it to keep fires under control in your home.
Help Save Lives
Depending on the cause of the fire, it can become a dangerous one, especially when it starts to spread around the surroundings. In such a case, placing fire extinguishers around your house is crucial as it can save lives. It’s also one of the design measures to take note of when keeping your home safe from fire. For instance, every floor of your dwelling place should have at least one device to make sure you always have the first line of defense in case a fire breaks out.
Below are the best places to keep a fire extinguisher in your home:
- Kitchen – Since most kitchen activities involve the use of grease, it’s best to have an extinguisher in that area to ensure you can put out grease fires immediately. However, you should not place the device near the stove or other cooking equipment to avoid flames from reaching it. Despite the distance, make sure to put it in any kitchen area provided you have easy access.
- Near Potential Fire Hazards – Don’t also forget to place fire extinguishers near the areas with sources of heat and electricity to quickly prevent the spread of fire coming from these areas. These may include fireplaces, furnaces, and locations of multiple appliances, and electrical panels.
- Bedroom – Keep at least one fire extinguisher in all your home’s bedrooms, including the children’s bedroom. Although fires don’t usually originate from these areas, it’s always safe to have a device nearby to protect your family’s lives during emergencies.
Help Protect The Environment
Aside from its threat to lives and properties, the blaze coming from uncontrolled fires can be harmful to the environment. If it’s not put out immediately, it can release carbon and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, which can damage the environment in the long run.
Because of these circumstances, make sure you have extinguishers inside your house. Remember, the more you protect the environment from the fire blaze, the more you can give yourself and your family a safe and comfortable world to live in.
There can be a variety of ways to protect your home from disasters like fire, and one of them is to have fire extinguishers around the house. With the information presented above, it’s clear that keeping these devices can be one of the best ways to control or stop a growing home fire before it can start getting out of control.
Lastly, having the proper extinguisher can’t adequately ensure your safety from fire. What’s important is that you should know how to operate them properly. That way, you can rest knowing that everything is under control in the event a fire disturbs the peace and serenity of your humble abode.