Energy is one of the essential things in our lives. From lighting the space to running appliances at home, working on machines in factories or running of trains, everything requires energy. However, the sources of energy available are of high cost and not sustainable.
In the US alone, about 75% of residential electricity is used for heating and cooling of water and space. So, finding the natural and renewable source of energy is vital. One way to get a clean and cheap source of energy is solar power.
Advantages of Solar Energy
There are many options for alternative sources of energy like wind, hydropower, geothermal, etc. Solar power is also alternative energy that is obtained from the sun. It eliminates the need for electricity or natural gas. Sun is the natural nuclear reactor and releases energy packets that are enough to satisfy the energy requirement globally for a year. It is possible to capture the sun’s energy and convert it into electricity by using several solar energy technologies like solar panels. Some advantages of using solar energy are:
- It is possible to go green with solar power as it is eco-friendly. You can minimize the carbon footprint with solar energy. It is an alternative to fossil fuel that doesn’t produce harmful gasses like carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide, and Sulphur oxide that pollute the air. There is no requirement for transportation or storage of any fuel in solar energy. It is a renewable source, which means it will provide consistent and constant electricity if the sun lives.
- Maximum energy at residential spaces is used for heating water and areas. This leads to high electricity bills. It is possible to save on utility bills by installing solar panels at your home. Installation is the one-time expense that can help save energy up-to 20%. So, you can save a significant sum of money in energy bills for the next 30 years.
- It is possible to provide electricity in remote locations where connecting power lines can be difficult and costly using solar power. Solar energy can be produced if sunlight is captured.
- The cost of installation of solar panels can be high, but it is a one-time investment. There is very less requirement for maintenance, which saves you a lot of money in the longer run. You also save on electricity bills without contributing any toxicity to the environment.
- Installation of solar panels is straightforward, and once installed, it can enhance the value of the property. So, if you are considering selling the house, you will get a reasonable price if you already have solar power.
Solar Energy for Heating and Cooling
Solar power can be used for heating the water and space of a home as well as cooling it. It is possible to heat and cold water and homes by installing some equipment. Solar water heating systems can be installed at any residential establishments. It comprises three main parts, namely solar collector, insulated piping, and a hot water storage tank.
Solar collector gathers heat from the sun and transfers it to the water which flows out of the collector to the hot water tank through pipes. Solar space heating systems are like solar water heaters. However, it requires a more significant number of solar collectors, more substantial storage tanks, and high-end design. The heating systems use non-toxic liquid or air as a medium to transfer heat from the collector and pass it throughout the building.
There are two types of solar cooling systems, namely desiccant systems, and absorption chiller systems. The desiccant system uses air to pass over a conventional desiccant that absorbs moisture, and the desiccant is regenerated using solar energy to dry out. The more common form of the solar cooling system is an absorption chiller system that uses solar water heating collector and thermal-chemical absorption process to air condition.