Furniture that will last a lifetime is a worthy investment, but its longevity depends on proper care. Whether you’re very hands-on or can barely find time to fit household chores in your schedule, you can find a way to make sure your furniture gets the care it needs. You can also check out cleaning services Houston below. Read more to find out.
Dust And Vacuum Regularly
Make dusting and vacuuming a habit at least once a week. It’s not just dust that you have to keep away from your furniture, but also food bits and other chemicals or organic pieces that can attract insects and from unwanted odor.
Leaving your furniture with dust for so long can cause discoloration, especially for light-colored ones.
Make Your Leather Furniture Last
Quality leather furniture certainly adds character to space. But for it to last, one needs to go beyond the basic cleaning techniques to ensure that the leather is well-treated and properly cared for.
There are two kinds of leather furniture: protected and unprotected.
- Unprotected leather, also known as aniline leather or unfinished leather, is close to its natural state with barely any protective chemicals.
- Protected leather, also called finished or semi-aniline leather is more durable and stain-resistant as it is applied with a more resistive coating.
Knowing the type of leather used in your furniture allows you to determine the cleaning agent to be best used on the material.
Dusting and vacuuming unprotected leather is the best way to clean it. If needed, you can also wipe it with a damp cloth and distilled water. You may also check out with the manufacturer the recommended cleaning agent.
Many commercial leather cleaning agents are available in the market for protected leather upholstery, but not all of them can do good for your leather. Avoid those that contain ammonia and alkalies since it causes damage beyond repair. Some recommended leather cleaning brands include Lexol and Leather Magic.
Keep Wood Away From Water
Similar to leather, wooden furniture also needs special care to last long. But if there’s one key thing to remember about wooden furniture, it is to keep it away from water and moisture as much as possible.
Here are simple tips on how to care for wooden furniture.
- Dust your wooden furniture regularly. If it requires removing grime, use a damp cloth (take note of damp and not drenched) with soap water and gently wipe the surface.
- Use coasters and placemats on table surfaces, especially for dining tables. Protected surfaces have a lesser risk of forming water rings and absorbing moisture. Still, unprotected wooden surfaces may form water rings that are not necessarily irreparable but would be a hassle to remove.
- Avoid placing wooden furniture in direct sunlight as it may cause discoloration.
- Consult the manufacturer when you notice any cracks or damages on the wood for immediate repair
Hire Cleaning Services
A busy schedule may not always allow you to keep a regular cleaning schedule, so it would be best to hire a cleaning professional. There are many cleaning services in Houston, but to make the most out of your money’s worth, try going with a tried and tested cleaning service provider like Modern Maids.
Cleaning services can be scheduled regularly and can be done via a website or mobile app for convenience. It’s also a good option for those who want to rest during the weekend but still want to keep the house in pristine condition, as the cleaning service staff do not require much supervision.