Is it possible that your mattress quality can affect your relationship with your significant other? You’d be surprised. And we’ll dive into why that is in a moment.
But the thing is: mattress quality is so essential for you and the most important person in your life. And it can also affect your relationship with something else! Your sleep schedule. If you want to know more about this interesting phenomenon about how mattress quality is linked to relationships, read on.
How Mattress Quality Can Affect Your Ability To Sleep
Here’s the thing about the quality of your mattress; it can play a role in how well you sleep. For example, a new mattress in excellent condition will give you a better night’s rest. If you have had an old mattress that you had for a long time, the quality won’t be as great.
But if the old mattress was in good condition, you can still get a decent night’s sleep. If the mattress was in average or poor condition regardless if it was a new or old mattress, that’s when the sleep quality goes downhill. That said, it would be wise to consider getting a new mattress if the condition is reduced.
Old Mattresses + Relationship = Problems?
It’s been said that when couples live with each other for the first time, the logical option would be to purchase a new mattress. However, if one of them decides to continue using an old mattress of theirs, it might not play a positive role in the relationship.
At least 60 percent of couples polled said that when they moved into their new place together, they bought a new mattress. However, the other 40 percent that didn’t purchase a new mattress would move in with an old one. Of those polled in the “no” category, at least half of the respondents didn’t mind using an old mattress when moving into a new place.
It’s understandable considering that the couple may have had financial constraints at the time, or they just wanted to save money. However, a quarter of couples polled had one person having an issue with using an old mattress (and rightfully so). Those who bought new mattresses experienced better sleep, better moods, and yes, even better love.
If push comes to shove, it would be smart for you and your significant other to purchase a new mattress when moving into a new apartment, house, or wherever you choose to live. If there are plans to save money, you can keep the old mattress at least temporarily. That way, it will give you and your significant other enough time to save up and get the new mattress.
Also, if you are planning on keeping the mattress temporarily, it’s essential to talk it over with your significant other. If anything, communication is a crucial aspect of the relationship. Springing something on them like keeping an old mattress can hurt the relationship a bit due to the lack of talking about it.
A Good Night’s Sleep = Better Relationships
Believe it or not, a good night’s sleep will improve your relationship. That explains why a new mattress is warranted when couples move in together for the first time. A good night’s sleep will always equal a better mood.
A not so good night’s sleep can lead to an increase in cortisol, the hormone that causes stress. And that will equal irritability, crankiness, and the increased likelihood of fights between couples. If that isn’t enough for you to get a new mattress before the big move, we don’t know what is.
Other Things You Need To Know
When purchasing a new mattress, what can be noted is that nearly 60 percent of couples purchased it from a store. They were happier in their relationships compared to those who had purchased their beds online or inherited it from a friend or family member.
The chief reason is that in furniture stores, you can “try before you buy.” One bed may be too soft, another too hard, but you’ll always find one that is just right. Plus, there are different kinds of bedding and materials that can make sleep even more comfortable.
For example, couples who have slept on memory foam beds with silk bedding would often report having better love (and better sleep) as a result. So if you are looking to spice things up in the bedroom while keeping yourself comfortable, consider your options as to what bedding will be best for you and your significant other.
It may sound crazy that mattress quality can affect a relationship. But what it all boils down to is the quality of sleep that you and your significant other get every night. If you want a relationship that is happy, fulfilling, and stress-free, then the obvious choice would be to get a new mattress before moving in together.
If happily ever after means can be fueled by a good night’s sleep, then what’s the sense in keeping your old mattress? Also, keep in mind that mattresses should be changed every seven years. The better the mattress condition, the better you and your significant other will continue to sleep well.